If you are a running addict and you are lucky enough to be in Barcelona, you can choose between urban trails, on the beach or in the mountains. These are our 10 favorite places to run in Barcelona:
1) Paseo Maritimo. More than 6 kilometers from end to end to disconnect breathing the sea air. In summer, it is best to arrive early, when it is still not too hot and there is virtually no one (something impossible at 2pm).
2) Parc de la Ciutadella. One of the best locations for people from Barcelona and tourists to practice all kinds of sports. On weekends it's usually very busy, but it's still very nice.
3) Mountain of Montjuic. Ideal for those who want to train something stronger taking advantage of the differences in level. A good circuit is the one starting at Plaza España and going up to the castle passing through the Olympic Stadium and the Botanical Garden (about 7 kilometers in total without counting the descent).
4) Joan Miró Park. At 1 minute from Plaza España and just behind “Las Arenas” shopping center, it is a good alternative for a set of soft exercises.
5) Parc Güell. An excellent location for training and sightseeing at the same time visiting one of the most representative works of Gaudí in Barcelona. Of course, it is usually very full and we must bear in mind that it’s closed at night.
6) Collserola. It is one of the green lungs of the city, where you will also find the legendary Tibidabo amusement park. You can to take a small picnic to enjoy in the areas nearby.
7) Within the Serra de Collserola, “Carreterra de Les Aigües” is one of the most pleasant trails for sport. The only downside (if there is one) is that it is somewhat far from the city but very well connected by public transport (just 10 minutes from the center on Catalan railroads FGC).
8) Diagonal Avenue. It starts at one point of the city, almost touching the mountains and ends by the sea. About 10 kilometers fully-equipped for running, skating or cycling. The only problem can be pollution since you will run in the middle of the city.
9) Parc del Guinardó. Very close to the bomb shelters of Can Baró, better known as The Bunkers. A spectacular site with very good views, although it is not suitable for those who prefer flat trail.
10) Llobregat and Besós River Park. On one side of Barcelona is the Llobregat river (going way South) and on the other the Besós (going way North). During the last years, an effort has been made to recover the fluvial spaces enabling them for leisure and physical activity. The environment is sometimes not the most beautiful, but it is true that there are many kilometers without interruptions, up to 30 in the case of Llobregat.
Running routes in Barcelona (on map)
On the map we have marked our selection of the best places to run in Barcelona. If wide, you can also see the closest metro stop, or the railroad stop for the “Carretera de Les Aigües”.
At Fisa Rentals Apartments in Barcelona we encourage you to discover the green areas of Barcelona by bike, with our exclusive promotional code in the Happy Rental Bike store.
Remember that we have more than 70 accommodations in the city with all the amenities, both for holiday rentals and long-term apartment rentals (minimum one month).
Popular races calendar in Barcelona 2019
Now that you know the green areas of Barcelona and the best parks to train, we show you a list of some of the most popular races in Barcelona:
• Zurich Marathon of Barcelona. One of the oldest runners’ events in Barcelona that is now in its 41st edition. The date is Sunday, March 10th, 2019. For those who want to practice, the Half Marathon takes place one month before.
• The Family Run. Ideal for family sports with the little ones in the house. It will take place in March but there is still no specific date.
• The Corte Inglés Race. Completely free and with the advantage that the 10 kilometers can also be done walking. There are many parents who take their children with baby trolleys. The date has not yet been set but it will take place at the beginning of April.
• The Cursa dels Bombers. Another of the classics race of Barcelona. The set date is on April 28th, 2019.
• Cursa DIR- Guardia Urbana of 5 or 10 kilometers on the Diagonal on May 26th, 2019. A flat and very pleasant route because you can do it without cars.